Bean Soup
Life...is...strange. That's the first rule, right there, my friends. Very, very strange.
Last night I spent most of the evening staring in a vacuous daze at the television, that Harbinger of Doom, and intermittently had fantasies of throwing my landlady out the window. This is the last time I'll mention her, so rest easy. I am, however, very obsessive (in case you hadn't noticed!). It's a writer thing, I've realized. It's why you write, really. One of many, no doubt disturbing, reasons! And maybe some good ones, who knows. You writerly folks out there know of what I speak.
The president, in political news, is busy defending the Iraq War. Guess he didn't realize he'll be doing that for the rest of his natural life, for those of us against this particular war. I remember when the bombs first dropped and the tele was full of "shock and awe." It was shock and awe, alright -- that we'd sunk this low as a country and that our president would actually do something this heinous. It was really horrible to see -- all I could think about was innocent people dying, and die they surely did. I guess working for peace is so much harder than just waging war on other people. It's gotta take so much more effort. And maybe eight thousand radio stations playing "Imagine", over and over again!
Speaking of John Lennon, apparently Jared Leto gained 67 pounds to play the guy who killed him -- Mark someone or other (can't think of his name at present). I remember reading a long, long time ago in a galaxy right around here an interview with Lennon's killer in People magazine. It was very chilling -- he talked about satan possessing his mind and feeling like snakes were coming out of his mouth. I am willing to be anyone three million dollars he was possibly molested and/or physically abused as a child. Criminal behavior is inevitably linked to abuse issues -- I mean, people don't just wake up one day and say, gee, think I'll kill John Lennon! Or Bob, the Helpful Mail Carrier! I think as a society we are moving beyond a knee-jerk "eye for an eye" mentality regarding criminals. I think rehabilitation has got to be a part of incarceration, personally. Otherwise we're just animals locking up animals, aren't we?
Funny, back in my college days I had a major argument with a guy about the death penalty. He was a Fundamentalist Christian Perpetuating Stereotypes About Fundamentalist Christians And Their Viewpoints I Guess and he told me he thought all murderers should fry. I disagreed and we went at it. Later on he told a male friend of mine that "he had never thought of dating me, but now definitely wouldn't!" Thanks, dude, I've always considered that one of the better compliments I've received. He also had a problem with me sleeping over at the apartment he unfortunately shared with said male friend (I slept on the couch but apparently I, as a female, was a "temptation"! Ah yes, women really are just whores at heart!). I hope he's dealt with his issues with an incisive therapist. Yet, somehow I doubt it.
And moving right along...it is a warmer day here in Buttoned Down New England. I can hear a truck somewhere outside making those beeping backing up noises. I find them oddly endearing. I spent yesterday taking care of three thousand niggling details and was so efficient that now my brain is a little slap-happy.
American Idol is down to 11 contestants! Bean soup is tasty! There, I worked in the title!
May all your tomorrows be pleasant (Tina Fey, we salute you).
Last night I spent most of the evening staring in a vacuous daze at the television, that Harbinger of Doom, and intermittently had fantasies of throwing my landlady out the window. This is the last time I'll mention her, so rest easy. I am, however, very obsessive (in case you hadn't noticed!). It's a writer thing, I've realized. It's why you write, really. One of many, no doubt disturbing, reasons! And maybe some good ones, who knows. You writerly folks out there know of what I speak.
The president, in political news, is busy defending the Iraq War. Guess he didn't realize he'll be doing that for the rest of his natural life, for those of us against this particular war. I remember when the bombs first dropped and the tele was full of "shock and awe." It was shock and awe, alright -- that we'd sunk this low as a country and that our president would actually do something this heinous. It was really horrible to see -- all I could think about was innocent people dying, and die they surely did. I guess working for peace is so much harder than just waging war on other people. It's gotta take so much more effort. And maybe eight thousand radio stations playing "Imagine", over and over again!
Speaking of John Lennon, apparently Jared Leto gained 67 pounds to play the guy who killed him -- Mark someone or other (can't think of his name at present). I remember reading a long, long time ago in a galaxy right around here an interview with Lennon's killer in People magazine. It was very chilling -- he talked about satan possessing his mind and feeling like snakes were coming out of his mouth. I am willing to be anyone three million dollars he was possibly molested and/or physically abused as a child. Criminal behavior is inevitably linked to abuse issues -- I mean, people don't just wake up one day and say, gee, think I'll kill John Lennon! Or Bob, the Helpful Mail Carrier! I think as a society we are moving beyond a knee-jerk "eye for an eye" mentality regarding criminals. I think rehabilitation has got to be a part of incarceration, personally. Otherwise we're just animals locking up animals, aren't we?
Funny, back in my college days I had a major argument with a guy about the death penalty. He was a Fundamentalist Christian Perpetuating Stereotypes About Fundamentalist Christians And Their Viewpoints I Guess and he told me he thought all murderers should fry. I disagreed and we went at it. Later on he told a male friend of mine that "he had never thought of dating me, but now definitely wouldn't!" Thanks, dude, I've always considered that one of the better compliments I've received. He also had a problem with me sleeping over at the apartment he unfortunately shared with said male friend (I slept on the couch but apparently I, as a female, was a "temptation"! Ah yes, women really are just whores at heart!). I hope he's dealt with his issues with an incisive therapist. Yet, somehow I doubt it.
And moving right along...it is a warmer day here in Buttoned Down New England. I can hear a truck somewhere outside making those beeping backing up noises. I find them oddly endearing. I spent yesterday taking care of three thousand niggling details and was so efficient that now my brain is a little slap-happy.
American Idol is down to 11 contestants! Bean soup is tasty! There, I worked in the title!
May all your tomorrows be pleasant (Tina Fey, we salute you).


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home